Thursday 9 June 2011

Mice, sparkling gems and an award!



Yet again, I continue with my very poor blogging habits. I seem to remember blogging each week up until recently – how did I find the time!? I must be lacking in organization at the moment…

I thought about posting about the mice we have here on the farm. There is one in particular that consistently steals food out of the cat’s bowl. A fat, glossy little mouse he is ... and very careful to come out ONLY when the cats aren’t around. And when there is only one, a mouse can be pretty darn cute.

But some mouse stories aren’t so nice when they’re at, whilst not quite plague proportions, at least far too many of them. And the rats! Luckily we have bush rats, which I’ve found, at first hand, look just like massive mice. (And along with huge Bogong moths last month, I secretly started to wonder if something very strange was going on that was growing monster wildlife!)

So instead, I thought I’d stick to the jewellery front and what I’ve been up to.

I’ve been busy recently with a show and orders, but have also been sidetracked into my box of special gems. "The box" is getting so full that I decided I either needed a bigger box or had to create some jewellery to share these beauties around. Since shops are few and far between out here to find a larger box, I went with the latter choice and made some pieces with the sparklies!

Th pink amethyst, pink topaz and rock crystal quartz sterling silver necklace at the top of the post is one. Scrumptious, isn’t it? Rather springlike considering we’re in full winter here, but that’s the muse for you – she takes you where she will!

I made a wintry necklace too – with smoky quartz, petro tourmaline and vermeil. Rich and luxurious.



Then I got started on earrings ….

With everything from muted shades of pink and blue with rose quartz, pink topaz, pink tourmaline and iolite...



To rich red garnets and pink topaz reminding me of cool days and warm fires...



To colourful amethyst, peridot and blue topaz ...



And more ... like my favourites - these one made with swiss blue topaz, peridot, pink topaz, green topaz and apatite ...




See why I like my “special box”!? And, it’s a much nicer post than one about mice!

In other news, I was recently honoured to receive The Versatile Blogghttp://www.blogger.com/img/blank.gifers Award from the wonderful Kelly of Vital Traditions all the way over in Washington State. I had the pleasure of being the roomie of Kelly at a conference a couple of years ago in Queensland, and she is honestly one of the very nicest people you could ever meet! Oh, and her all natural body products are THE BEST!



As part of receiving this award I need to pass this on and I've selected some of my daily reads for the award (check them out, you may find a new favourite!):

BushBelles
Gifts of Serendipity
Write Expressions
The Laurel Hedge
Cattle, Kids & Chaos

And, lastly before I sign off, I want to give a shout-out to Paula K and her new Smart Woman venture. Paula started the amazing and popular Connect2Mums site a couple of years ago and I've known her since those early days - she's a fantastic mentor and businesswoman, so if you're in small business (or thinking about it), pop over to her Facebook page and say hello!

7 comments:

posie blogs Jennie McClelland said...

Oh wow, gorgeous work, especially love the last pair of earrings which are so long & delicate, yet structured.
Mice, oh they are everywhere & i have no love for them at all. I just can't catch them, i will reset the traps with marinated olives (yes, only bait which works, who knew Canberra mice knew their olives??)
Have a gorgeous weekend, love Posie

coffeeaddict said...

I wouldn't mind to have a special box like that. In fact I would be more than willing to volunteer to take the extra gems off your hands ;-)
Gorgeous jewellery and darn cheeky mice!

Fiona said...

Beautiful jewellery as always Annette. Thank you so much for the award .. I'm struggling to find time for blogging at the moment too, just too much work to do. And yes, the mice are alive and well even in the tropics.

Felicity said...

I've just had a giggle reading Posie's comment about catching the mice with olives - she truly amazes me with what she knows! The amazing thing is that you grow your own!

I'm a bit behind in my blog reading too and had missed this post - Congratulations on your award and thank you for sharing your lovely new gems & also for passing the award on to me, truly lovely.

Happy day, I hope you find your own 'olive' solution.

Name: Holly Bowne said...

Annette, you are SO talented! I especially love the necklace at the top of your post and the color combination of the "amethyst, peridot and blue topaz" piece. Really, really beautiful!

I'm so glad you chose your jewellery over mice. (You're much kinder about describing mice than I would be!;o)

Congrats on your well-deserved Blog Award as well, and THANK YOU for passing it along. I'm honored!

Veronica Lee said...

Congrats on the well-deserved award!

Love the jewelry. Beautiful as always!

Le said...

wow wow wow some great pieces ... love the dark rosey pinks - ADORE !! BTW I see your followers is not working - neither will mine .. any clues :) ta le xox

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...