Wednesday 14 July 2010

Term break stresses, gem snippets and a pretty fluorite necklace


The children are driving me crazy. Can I sincerely request that the teachers cease their holidaying and open the school doors so I can get some peace and quiet? My children don't know the meaning of those words, it's all about noise, noise and more noise! I even had to shush them when we were walking down the street in town the other day. They were talking so loud it was almost as if they were yelling! Ah well, at least school is back next week, so I'll just continue stoically on (I wish!) in the meantime.

I attended the new Mudgee Upmarket at the Fairview Artspace last weekend. The weather was absolutely miserable with a heavy drizzle most of the day so the gallery owner brought us all inside - I was in the entry/coffee shop (yes it smelled of great coffee all day long!) along with a sculptor displaying her 'ladies'. The rest of the artisans were scattered throughout gallery rooms, wide hallways and verandahs. There was a steady stream of people that came regardless of the weather and lots of visitors from Sydney and interstate.

When I've not been the taxi service or peacemaker with the children this past week, I've been busy finishing orders, so there is not much new in the wild flights of fancy department a.k.a. my bench! But I have seen some fascinating gemstone trivia - well, trivia might even be too grand a word, lets just use 'snippets':

New York, the city that never sleeps, has introduced gemstone facials. One spa has a preference for amethyst - that pretty purple variety of quartz - which they use as a serum, eye cream and powder. They say it reduces skin inflammation and radiates infrared rays in order to stimulate healthy cell growth. The skin is supposed to be instantly firmer and brighter and all at a mere $275USD.

Another spa uses emeralds, rubies, sapphire, citrine, and gold. Emeralds are used to correct skin tone imperfections; rubies and gold are supposed to hydrate and smooth; citrine is supposed to plump lips; and sapphire is supposed to lift. The treatment supposedly leaves a shimmer on your skin and also runs at $275USD.

Yet another spa recommends their exfoliating paste of pearls - apparently to prevent dark spots on the skin by slowing down the growth of melanin. Compared to the others this treatment is a bargain at only $120USD!

So, okay, you don't want gems pulverised and put on your face (Wise woman. Much better to wear them!) But perhaps you might like to visit a house in Texas that reportedly has a turquoise kitchen sink!?

OK, enough with the truly reported, but rather silly state of gem news ;)

Today's photo is of a newish necklace (made a couple of weeks ago) and it gathered many lovely comments at Mudgee last weekend. Little fluorite cubes in green and purple shades and lots of sterling silver.

Till next :)
Annette

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

necklace is beautiful - that is crazy about the facials and I totally get you about the kids.... good luck!

Unknown said...

The necklace is beautiful as usual. :)

ChezChani said...

Lovely necklace! Hope you made lots of sales at your show...

Melanie @ Whimsical Creations said...

The necklace is beautiful!

My kids are driving me crazy this week, too. It is summer vacation here...

Veronica Lee said...

I've not heard of spas that use gemstones! But there are spas over here that use gold.

The necklace is beautiful.

Have a nice day, Annette.

GottaLoveMom said...

Pretty original, Annette! They're beautiful...maybe just wear the necklace while getting a spa treatment before the kids drive you crazy.

Suzanne said...

Thanks for the post. I have seen your designs and they are just awesome. And this neck piece too is beautiful indeed.

Cause Logo Design said...

That's really massive exposure post and I must admire you in this regard.

business logo designs said...

This site is so good that I’ve bookmarked and saved them with me. It’s a keeper!

company logo designs

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...