Wednesday 3 February 2010

What a week - school is back, a nasty virus, the Grammy's and an Award



Wow, what a week. Not only have the munchkins returned to school, my computer mysteriously slowed up and I wasn't able to use a browser, so couldn't get online!!! It ended up being a nasty Trojan virus that snuck in somehow and wasn't picked up by my anti-virus software :( Thank goodness for the helpful soul at Microsoft Answers who gave me great advice that I followed and consequently seem to have solved my problems. Of course, what would have taken 15 minutes to do without the virus, took over 3 days!!! Very, very frustrating.

The children have settled into their new school brilliantly. They have made lots of new friends, are liking their teachers and overall are quite thrilled to be there. Such a difference to the end of last year, when they were dragging their heels at anything to do with school. My eldest is now in high school and I think the set up of lots of different teachers and subjects suits him down to the ground.

I managed to watch the Grammy's this week - as we all know I love to look at the jewels, although I rarely sit through a whole awards presentation. However due to a small mishap, I spent the evening on the floor in front of the TV.

(OK: this is why: the children were making up their jigsaw puzzles and had them all spread out on cardboard sheets on the lounge room floor. The door was open, a big gust of wind came in, lifted up the cardboard and puzzle pieces went everywhere. So what's a mother to do? Make them all up again so then put them away complete!! Do you know HOW LONG it takes to do a dozen or so jigsaw puzzles from 50 - 300 pieces each when they're all mixed up!!! No wonder I had time to watch the Grammy's!)

Anyway, I must say I really enjoyed it, particularly how they matched some newer faces with older established artists. It was quite spectacular and on the jewellery front those gals are certainly into bling. Lots of wow-factor diamonds!!

I've also been checking out the fashions at the Paris couture shows when I can. Of course, it's mostly unwearable-by-mortals clothing, but the jewellery was pretty amazing. Galliano (Dior), Lagerfield (Chanel), and Armani had big statement pieces, particularly for evening wear, that covered all the major types of jewellery - necklaces/chokers, earrings, bracelets/cuffs, rings and brooches (the latter worn in the hair or as a jacket closure).

The Tuscon gem shows are also in full swing and I keep hearing about tantalising new things being shown. I would just love to be able to go one year *sigh* but till then, I'll keep living vicariously! Have you ever noted how many events are held in Tuscon? I also saw a reference to the Tuscon Quilt Craft and Sewing Festival later in the year on the Road Home Quilting blog. THE destination for shows and festivals it seems!

Back down to earth, however, I have my first show coming up in less than a fortnight - the Dunedoo Show on Saturday, 13 February. This will be my second year there and I will be in or adjacent to the ladies pavillion. I don't know what other artisan/craftswomen will be there - I could hope for a lovely turnout as mentioned by Elena at her recent Handmade Show, but maybe that might be stretching things a bit! I will be taking lots of my new pieces along so the ladies will have lots of pretty things to look at. Pictured above is one such piece - amber, carnelian and pearls in wonderful shades - apple green, fiery orange, beaten bronze, cranberry and mauve. It makes me happy just to look at it :D

While I've been off the air, I received this award

from the lovely I am NOT a VOLCANO and other such stories. I am to pass this on to newly discovered lovely blogs...enjoy!

The Laurel Hedge
Escapade
Dustjacket Attic
Dress Design Decor
Plush Palate

8 comments:

Name: Holly Bowne said...

Ha, ha! I can't believe you sat and put together a dozen puzzles. They are sort of addicting though, aren't they?

Congratulations on your "lovely" award! You do have a lovely blog. And your jewellery looks almost like candy, good enough to eat, in this pic. :o)

Veronica Lee said...

Congrats on the award, Annette! This week's piece looks yummy and of course beautiful like all the others you've brilliantly created.

Pretty Things said...

That is a GORGEOUS color combo!!!!

ChezChani said...

Your jewelry pictures are always so beautiful, truly eye candy.

I can't believe you re-did those puzzles, you should get an award for that!

Mandee said...

Congrats on your award! That stinks about the puzzles! I could only imagine how long that must have taken to put them all back together. What a nice mother you are! :)

Loving the colorful photo at the top of the page! :)

Windthicket Fables said...

Annette- on your headder there is a beautiful string of pink beads with tassles on the end. I have no idea what it is, but I LOVE it! What exactlyis is, and where can I get one?

Annette Piper said...

It's pink topaz :) This is how high grade gems that are drilled come to me - on a temporary strand that is ended with tassels.

Your Cheeky Monkey said...

These computer viruses are very scary things aren't they. I agree with all the other ladies here too, this weeks piece is just gorgeous!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...