Wednesday 26 November 2008

A Christmas state of mind


We're having unseasonally cool weather down here ... in fact, last Saturday I was in Orange and it SNOWED! I've never actually seen snow falling from the sky and was amazed at how soft it was. And boy, was it was COLD. Of course, I wasn't expecting that sort of weather - summer does officially start in less than a week after all - but it was still bitterly cold.

Sunday was still very chilly and we weakened and lit the fire! Ahhh, snuggly warm again. Yesterday we were in t-shirts and then this morning dawned cool and rainy so we're back into sweaters. Whatever is going on with the weather it's decidedly strange!

I must say though, Christmas is easier to think about when it is cool. I find this quite bizarre, as I have never experienced anything but Christmas in summertime. Maybe all those movies and stories of Christmas in the northern hemisphere have addled my brain? Whatever the cause, I find myself thinking more and more of Christmas and definitely starting to feel a little jolly!

We have had a 'pretend' tree for the few years so the children can enjoy the Christmas spirit for as long as possible. This year they are going to be almost 8,8 and 11 so we've decided to go back to the family's traditional way of doing things - which is to get a live tree a day or two before Christmas.

The excitement of going looking for a tree and then the decorating will whet their appetites about Christmas to a crescendo I reckon!! How about some of these gorgeous handmade glass decorations to go on it from Daydream Art Studios?

In the light of all this festive thinking, I have even been considering Christmas gifts. We have a system in our family where draw a name out the bag and buy for just that one person. They usually co-operate and tell us what they want which means everyone gets something they really desire.

The children are exempt from this however and get pressies from everyone. I think I may have found something for my little neice - this great art apron/smock from Poss Bloss. It is made with PVC that has handpainted with flowers and has full sleeves so it will keep her clothes (and sleeves) nice and clean. I love the pretty flower pattern too - the colours are very much her as well.

As usual, I have been busy on the jewellery front as well - I have caught up on all my orders and made the last of the new stock before my open day in Coolah this week. Today's picture is one of the new pieces.

A myriad of stones are featured in this statement necklace - amethyst, citrine, rock crystal quartz, mookaite, aventurine, banded agate, pyrite, fluorite, blue lace agate, chalk turquoise, rose quartz, lava, Russian rhyolite and moss agate. The whole is brought together by the absolutely luscious natural lavender toned freshwater pearls and little drops of almost pure silver. See more pics of it here.

Have a great day!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is strange about the cool weather..... I wonder what it could be - being from Alberta Canada when it snowed it for sure helped with Christmas feelings!! We get a real tree about three to four weeks before Christmas I guess you can do that when it isn't summer!!

Veronica Lee said...

Welcome to the club !

LaTonya Yvette said...

I love your jewelry

Elizabeth Channel said...

The live tree sounds so cool! Do you re-plant it in your yard after? I always thought that would be fun. A little jealous of that snow over here in South Georgia where it only snows a sprinkling once every 7 years...

debi9kids said...

OMGosh! Snow in nearly summer! It's official, the weather is CRAZY!

Unknown said...

I'm glad you got to see snow falling! I love to watch it....then it can go away! LOL, it's beautiful though.
If I were to wear that necklace, I'd never get away from the mirror! I'd have to keep looking at all the beautiful stones!
Carmen

Coco said...

It "sort of snowed" here in Nashville today and I was a little shocked so I can't imagine how shocked you must have been!

Your jewelry is great!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...